Wednesday, June 21, 2023

Do you know who's losing the streaming wars? You!

Column.

With Netflix continuing to increase their pricing, the offer of HBO Max looked pretty good... Who doesn't want a lifelong 50% discount, great series and a bunch of movies? And so, I subscribed.

I might cancel any day now. When HBO Max becomes Max, and all the good stuff disappears in exchange for crappy reality stuff... 


HBO Max to Max

So, I had my regular downloads, my Netflix, HBO Max, and Disney+. I should be covered for the ages... Disney+ for Star Wars, Marvel and the classics. Netflix for the 'binge', and HBO Max for some great series and movies, right?

Not right.

HBO Max will become Max soon, and all scripted stuff might be replaced with crappy reality TV and similar rubbish. When I hear about (HBO) Max's plans, I fear for my streaming future. Is that the future of streaming? Countless subscriptions, and still getting served shit, interrupted by commercials?

Max took complete, not yet broadcasted series from the air to have some tax advantages. Great for them. Not for us viewers.


And Netflix?

I'm beginning to wonder why I'm subscribed to all these services... I don’t mind paying for my entertainment, but prices should stay reasonable. Netflix, for example, keeps increasing their pricing and is reaching a point where I might cancel my subscription.

My streaming future doesn't seem bright.


Disney+

Take Disney+, they just ripped a bunch of series and movies from the airwaves, and you'll no longer be able to stream that stuff. Marvel's Runaways? Gone. The Princess? Gone.

And you bet they'll never come back... Perhaps on some ad-sponsored free service, but I am willing to pay to get rid of the ads. That's the whole idea behind streaming! No ads!


Sky Showtime

Most of their stuff was on Netflix in the past, and was moved to Sky Showtime, so another corporate could set up yet another streaming service. I don't even know why I have Sky Showtime.

Do you?


The loser's dilemma

I thought the streamers would be our future archive, where we could enjoy those old series that nobody can (or wants to) watch anywhere else. Instead, prices go up, and the catalogue gets smaller and smaller...

The world made a lot of progress.

I don't mind to pay for my entertainment. But not until I'm broke, and not for stuff I don't want. We've cut the cable, and now we're back to zero -- advertising and crazy pricing, and a limited choice dictated by short term profit.

And I can live with that. I'm just worried about all the stuff that will disappear, to be never shown again.

Is it time to download again, if only to keep stuff from being wiped from some corporate hard drive?


No comments:

Post a Comment