Thursday, June 22, 2023

Bad (or Interesting) Book Covers - Part 3

Writing.

Warning: 18+, not suitable for work and the faint of heart.

I grabbed a few book covers from the Internet, trying to find a few good and bad examples...

We're now entering the domain of fan fiction, and as most aspiring authors have little money, little art talent, or both (I firmly belong in that category), they'll have to rely on affordable pre-made covers, a little photoshopping, or old fashioned felt tip pens and crayons to get the message across.


14. Poor Little Wolves

Pre-made book covers are their own evil. I admit there are quite a few good ones out there, especially if if you're into the 'hunk / gothic girl / wolf in the background' target demography, but some are... less impressive.

We just witnessed some early photoshopping, and this is definitely a superior version, though I gotta' feel sorry for those handicapped wolves, with them malformed front legs (once you see them you can't unsee them). The legs of the lady look a bit odd as well.

Would you be paying for such a (pre-made) book cover? More importantly, would your readers?


13. Painful


I have no suitable words, except perhaps 'Windows 3.1 MS Paint for beginners'.


12. Space Janitor

I have no idea where I found this one (Wattpad, probably), but I guess it's about a space janitor with a bad hair day. Or it's Snape breaking in a new werewolf security officer at Hogsworth. That's also an option. 


It's a little puzzling as well, because it seems the artist was striving for a very specific look, probably matching the story which involves a wolf and a cleaning mop and a butterfly / flower thing-ish... thing. At first, I thought it was a straightforward Photoshop, but when you zoom in there are some details that would belie that assumption.

Let's assume (hope) it's a joke or an unfinished study. Honestly, I have no idea what to make of it.


11. Ashtar

We have now firmly entered the domain of the fan fiction author. I think. Hell, I don't know. I can admire the artist for his effort, but I'm not entirely convinced the drawing will increase the sales of the book. Although it seems to perfectly match the subject...

Is it just eventually perhaps theoretically, technically remotely possible that the helmet design was inspired by Perry Rhodan?...


More


No comments:

Post a Comment