Friday, July 5, 2024

Sunlu S1 Mod - Preliminary design and test print

3D Printing / Sunlu S1 Mod

This is a work in progress. This is going to be a modification of the Sunlu S1, based on the 'Turbo Mod MK2'.

I'm currently printing a prototype using PLA, just to make sure I got all dimensions etc. right, and I still have to design some air valves.


Variant

I'm considering another variant (which is easier to mount and offers more space for electronics) but which is a little higher. To make sure I can test both variants on my single S1 Dryer I've placed the holes in such a way that the Sunly can accomodate both mods.

That's also why there are that many holes in the design 😁 They're 'features', not bugs!


Sliced and diced...

Here's the model (made in Fusion 360) and a test slice. I've oriented the model at 45 degrees to better fit on the bed.



(Click on an image to enlarge)


Test prints and old PLA

I'm using some very old, non-dried Jupiter PLA (wound onto the rolls by a one eyed, one handed, drunk and blind pirate) and during my first print the PLA came lose from the bed. It also delaminated over the long lines (see image below, top one is the first attempt).


I tried again, this time using 40% speed, 5 degrees higher temperature, and a brim (second object in the image above), door closed, lid open, after pre-heating the bed for five minutes. I aborted this print, but it was looking a lot better and very hard to break.

The latest version is currently printing in PLA for testing the fit. Lessee how it works out. It's going to take around an hour to print.


Update

Here's the test print. I found a few minor things and have made the modifications. Time to do the real thing... 

Note to self: when placing an object at 45 degrees on the bed one should check the infil direction when using rectilinear. Actually, I was planning to print this one with hexagon fillings, just forgot to switch the option back on 😏



To be continued...


More


No comments:

Post a Comment