Sunday, July 21, 2024

Bambu Lab X1C - ABS Workout - First Stage

3D Printing + Kupper + ABS

Let's see if I got ABS down now. Three large blocks, 60% speed, in ABS. Print time: 14 hours. And it's on...

I mean, what could go wrong?


Design

Three blocks, one for drill bits, and two more for an odd collection of screwdrivers, all in one go.

Smart money says I shouldn't try printing all tree in one go...




(Click on any image to enlarge)


The print (obviously) failed... But, the results were interesting, and I learned some things...


Don't use supports on diagonals

That should have been obvious, but... euh... I screwed up 😎


(Click to enlarge)

In the blue circle is a vertical support, directly from the build plate upwards, and from there 'on top' on one of the mounting studs. It's a stable support.

In the red circle are more supports, leaning (but not attached) to a diagonal surface... Obviously, they'll slide down and fall onto the plate, providing no support at all. Ooops 😓

Now this MIGHT work when printing PLA on a slower printer, when sliced with Simplify3D. In fact, I got that to work once before, so I completely missed my own stupidity in this case. Oh well, time to reprint.


Surface quality

I had accidentally random start on perimeters selected in the Bambu Studio slicer, under Prepare / Quality / Seam position / Random. Not the best choice, as it affects long, flat surfaces. This effect is more noticeable on ABS then it was on PLA.






(Click on any image to enlarge)

Hmmm... Perhaps it's a good idea to try the seam painter on my next attempt. How does that work anyway?


More










No comments:

Post a Comment