Monday, October 9, 2017

Netflix - Neo Yokio smells like a space station


Review.

I just watched some Neo Yokio on Netflix. And didn't like it at all. But...

Some animator, designer, script writer or show runner must have been watching more than anime, some 20 odd years ago. There's a very special kind of perfume in a key role...


Neo Yokio

... on Netflix is loud and annoying, the main character is annoying, the plot lines are annoying...

Netflix included some anime lately, including good stuff like Cowboy Bebop and Full Metal Alchemist. There's also more recent but still watchable material like Blame or Knights of Sidonia. I can even stand ID0, in spite of its shortcomings.

But Neo Yokio? Meh.

Its only redeeming quality is this one image:


B5

One hell of an incredible show, 20 years ago. I was at the time working in China, and two nights a week I stayed up to watch this show. It was broadcasted around 02:00 or so...

Ah... those days... when I was still young and foolish (still am though). But honestly, who still remembers Peter Jurasik as Londo Mollari?

Unfortunately, this is one of the shows that hasn't aged very well. Biggest problem are the CGI, which seem to be 'inverse interlaced', ie. look all kind of 'jaggy' on a modern flatscreen... But perhaps I should have another look at one of the DVD releases, as I cannot recall it was a tape, download, or original disc. (Yes, I tend to buy stuff if it is affordable.)

Then there's the camera, the writing, the acting... Michael J Straczynski did a good job (it's a 90's show, remember) but the world has moved on. Compare B5 with something like Firefly... Perhaps I will postpone that rewatch, and just keep the memory.


Back

Oh. Yeah, this post was about Neo Yokio.

I just tried another episode. Just as 'meh' as the first one. It smells like a rather derelict, forgotten space station, where fish(y) traders forgot to clean up when they left for more promising shores...



No comments:

Post a Comment