"I love it when a plan comes together."
Yeah, so do I. But sometimes... It doesn't.
So, here's the challenge I set myself: design and build my own filament dryer.
Now what does that have to do with a 123-3D Spool Holder?!?
The Plan
1. Create a modular solution to fool around with Peltier elements, fans, air valves, and microcontrollers
2. Figure out Peltiers
3. Figure out Microcontrollers
4. Design and build the final dryer
Now, to get there I need to create some test models. Typically I prototype in PETG (it's a bit more heat resistant than PLA) but in this case I have to go for ABS or PC.
Now I do have an old roll of ABS (Real 3D, probably from 2019 or so) which needs drying. I do own an AMS-HT, but the roll is an odd size and doesn't fit.
Now I can dry it in my X1C, but (ofcourse) that would work best with a drying cover. Which I don't have. I can use a cardboard box, and that's what I've done for now. I did decide I need some decent drying covers anyway, so I can dry stuff inside the X1C whilst I'm drying stuff in the AMS-HT. Until I have my own dryer...
Dyring covers
I designed these: (not sure if they will print, but let's try) in an attempt to maximize the heat coming from the build platform:
Those things are big, and pretty much fill up the whole build plate. Of course I want to print them in some old leftover filament -no need to waste new, better stuff - and lo and behold... I do have that roll of old ABS filement laying around... (The one I needed to dry, and didn't have a spoolholder for)...
So, job no. 1: find a spoolholder that does fit. Digging into the ol' stuff in the attic I retrieved a - just as old - 123-3D spoolholder. Which was bad even then, as it wouldn't handle decent rolls, and wasn't very stable. I did some fixes back then, and decided to modify it a little more to put it into proper use.
Spoolholder modifications
The spoolholder is an old 123-3D Acryl thing that was never very good to begin with... but hey, I needed something, and had this at hand 😅
1. Cross brace for the bottom (so it's more stable)
2. Modified brackets (so they would raise the rod a little, and would allow both the standard 'metal tube' as well as a 'self centering concave' roller with wheel bearings)
3. A self centering concave roller
And - whilst I was at it - I added two additional roller variants.
Putting all of that together:
Yes, I know, ball bearings might actually not improve the feed...
The black parts date back to 2019 or so in PLA, the orange bits recent prints in PETG.
Okay, next challenge: printing ABS without warping...





No comments:
Post a Comment