Thursday, February 1, 2024

Secomber Rescan

RPG.

My old Secomber maps were scanned 20 years ago, using a handscanner. It was about time I rescanned them, especially after finding other Secomber maps.

Click on any of these images for a larger version.


Secomber

I picked Secomber as an out-of-the-way town (at the time of 2nd edition AD&D) which was close enough to The Swordcoast and some other 'attractions' 😈 but not too detailed so I could mess around with some low level characters and build my own little corner in Faerun. I know Ed Greenwood did create a detailed map, and mine isn't based on his (and it can't be as his was never released).

I added some additional overview drawings just to get a better feel for the area. I also had a fun time (not) lining up the different maps from the different products.


World and Maps

Here's a sketch of the world, based on a TSR / WOTC map. At the top there are the different countries, at the bottom all the different products that contain maps of Faerun.

That was before the digital Atlas of the Forgotten Realms showed up 😏 Do I need to add that I like that version of the Realms best?


Immediate region

Again, based on some TSR / WOTC map:


Secomber

Where it all started...



I took the textual descriptions I could find (and were canon) and then cooked up my own map. At the time Secomber was a sleepy town, far away from Waterdeep, but close enough to attract some wealth and adventurers. Key were the three hills, the rivers, and the large contingent of halfling citizens.

The buildings in some areas were fairly close to one another, so I detailed those in additional drawings.


Shield & The Seven Stringed Harp

I made up the Secomber shield / coat of arms.

The Inn is a rough drawing based on the one in Volo's Guide to the Sword Coast... I think 😇

I remember making a floorplan once, but I can't find it back 😒


The Dip

The area directly next to the Seven Stringed Harp: 


"Taking a dip" is slang for being booted out of the inn, or thrown into the dip because you were too drunk or had no money.


Rumble Market

The busy heart of Secomber (during weekdays, at night The Dip is where the action is)...


Skipper's Ave


The Harbour



More


No comments:

Post a Comment