Wednesday, February 21, 2024

How to avoid being Microsoft's Bitch... Or: adding and managing Local Accounts on Windows 11

Windows.

My deepest apologies for the choice of words, but today was one of those days where I have been literally yelling at my computer screen for at least ten minutes. All thanks to Microsoft.

And today, my local accounts suddenly disappeared.


NO MORE LOCAL ACCOUNTS?!?

What drove me nuts today was something new: Microsoft, in all their Wisdom, hid 'other accounts'. It was completely gone. It wasn't there.

If you type the Windows Key, followed by 'user accounts', I'd end up in a remote desktop config menu. And if I followed the different links I might end up on this page: Add or remove accounts on your PC - Microsoft Support.

Which suggests to go to 'Family & other users' which no longer exists..,

Even rebooting didn't bring back my 'other users'...


Fix

I discovered this by accident...

1. Log in as an Admin account

2. Windows Key, then 'other accounts'

Yep, it's there again. Even better, from this point on it is listed in its usual place: Settings / Accounts / Account Settings / Other Users

(And yes, I know it isn't listed when you're not logged in as a user with Admin rights. I'm not as stupid as I look.)

Did I run into a bug, or just another deliberate attempt by Microsoft to kill local accounts? I have no idea, but it wasn't fun.


No comments:

Post a Comment