2. Open Steam in Big Picture mode to receive firmware updates for the Steam Controller (this should happen automatically).
3. Disconnect the Steam Controller
Pair the Controller
1. Insert the wireless receiver into the front of your PC with clear line of sight to the controller.
2. Insert the batteries
3. Launch Big Picture Mode with your mouse and keyboard.
4. While in Big Picture Mode, select the Settings icon from the top right section of the client.
5. Settings / Controller Settings / Add Steam Controller
6. Follow the on-screen instructions
To apply configurations from the Community or to create your own, navigate to a game in your Library from Big Picture mode, then select Manage Game then Controller Configuration at the top.
This menu will only display when a controller is connected.
Ensure only one type of input is applied - Xinput (gamepad), or keyboard/mouse since hybrid input is rarely accepted by a game.