Sunday, May 27, 2018

Mel Gilden - Surfing Samurai Robots / Hawaian Ufo Aliens

Review.

In Surfing Samurai Robots and Hawaiian Ufo Aliens there's a five feet two sleuth with a big nose and a mission... to become the next Philip Marlowe.

Oh yes, I almost forgot. He calls himself Zoot and he's actually an alien beneath that long trenchcoat.


Chandler

I like the old-style hard-boiled detective stuff that Chandler wrote. Featuring Philip Marlowe, mister wise cracker himself. Fast talk, dirty fights, bizarre problems and everybody lies. Except the hero, of course.

We've seen several rip-off's, worthless copies and bad variations on the theme, so I was a little worried.Fortunately Mel Gilden's approach is rather, eh, different. Zoot get's around, and really has the language down. Even his private roboduck catches the virus. It's all good fun, don't expect a deep scifi novel, but somethings that is all that one needs.

Some people hate stuff like this. I just can't get enough of it. It's even funny to non-Californians, it seems. At least my passport said 'dutch' the last time I checked out.

Is it funny? Yes, but only if you are in the mood for it. So YMMV.

I think there's a third novel featuring Zoot Marlowe called Tubular Android Superheroes but haven't read it yet.


Dapper / TellTales! 5

No comments:

Post a Comment